What is the First Friday Devotion?
The First Friday Devotions are a set of devotions to especially recognise the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and through it offer reparations for sins. In the visions of Christ reported by St. Margaret Mary Alacoque in the 17th century, several promises were made to those people who practised the First Fridays Devotions, one of which included final perseverance:
“I promise you, in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the first Friday for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance; they shall not die in my disgrace nor without receiving the sacraments; my divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in that last moment.”— Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary
How to complete the First Friday Devotion:
- Receive Holy Communion on each First Friday;
- The nine Fridays must be consecutive;
- They must be made in honour and in reparation to His Sacred Heart.
With regard to this promise it may be remarked:
- that our Lord required Communion to be received on a particular day chosen by Him;
- that the nine Fridays must be consecutive;
- that they must be made in honour of His Sacred Heart, which means that those who make the nine Fridays must practice the devotion and must have a great love for our Lord;
- that our Lord does not say that those who make the nine Fridays will be dispensed from any of their obligations or from exercising the vigilance necessary to lead a good life and overcome temptation; rather He implicitly promises abundant graces to those who make the nine Fridays to help them to carry out these obligations and persevere to the end;
- that perseverance in receiving Holy Communion for nine consecutive First Fridays helps the faithful to acquire the habit of frequent Communion, which our Lord eagerly desires; and
- that the practice of the nine Fridays is very pleasing to our Lord since He promises such great reward, and that all Catholics should endeavour to make the nine Fridays.
ACT OF REPARATION TO THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS
Jesus, Son of God and our Saviour,
have mercy on all who wound your Sacred Heart by sin,
unfaithfulness and neglect.
O loving Heart of Jesus,
broken by our ingratitude,
pierced by our sins,
yet loving us still,
accept in reparation the suffering
I now make to you of all that I am and all that I have.
Draw me ever nearer to your Sacred Heart:
there where I can learn best,
teach me, Jesus,
your blessed way to eternal life. Amen.
12 Promises of the Sacred Heart to St. Margaret Mary
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge in life and especially in death.
- I will abundantly bless all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise speedily to great perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of my Sacred Heart shall be exposed and venerated.
- I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.
- Persons who propagate this devotion shall have their names eternally written in my Heart.
- In the excess of the mercy of my heart, I promise you that my all powerful love will grant to all those who will receive Communion on the First Fridays, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance: they will not die in my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments; and my Heart will be their secure refuge in that last hour.